Senior Riding Program
If you are a competent, safe, level E3 rider who wants more saddle time, the senior rider program is for you. The Senior Rider program allows for safe, smart, competent riders to ride the Hoofer horse of their choice unsupervised in the indoor arena. Senior riders may also quarter, half, or full lease a Hoofer horse, based on that horse's availability. Leasing of Hoofer horses requires the individual pass the senior rider test.
Senior riders may also TA for instructors on nights when there are scheduled E1 lessons. Besides getting to know club instructors and members a lot better, the time spent assisting the instructors can be exchanged for senior ride time. TAs are lined up before the beginning of each semester, so contact instructors directly if you are interested in TAing for them.
Senior Rider Eligibility
- You must be a Level E3 rider or above.
- You must have been a member of the HRC for one semester, or have taken at least 4 lessons with a Hoofer instructor and received that instructor's recommendation.
- You must take an open book written exam. The exam asks questions regarding horse health, tack, and horse anatomy, as well as questions on hoofer guidelines and general barn knowledge. Again, this exam is open book, open instructor, etc. You must score at least 90% on the written exam to pass.
- You must pass a knowledge and riding test on the horse(s) on which you want to check out. This test includes showing proper grooming and tacking skills (for each horse); knowing the specific horse's quirks and/or ailments.
- You must pass an english riding skills test.